The following article provides some information on accounts and logging in on the new NCGS website.
Accounts and Entitlement
Anyone can create an account on the new NCGS website, but access to special content and features on the site (also called "entitlement") is managed by the website administrator.
Entitlement levels are as follows:
- Registered — Will receive broadcast e-mail messages, but has no other site privileges. This level, as a minimum, is required for making purchases from the NCGS web store.
- Member (also called "Author") — Based on membership status as determined by the Secretary, someone who has Member privileges on the website is entitled to see members-only content including the back issues of the Journal, and publications submitted by other members (currently, this includes publications by Barnetta White and Leonard Dean). Member access also allows website users to submit articles, publications, and links for the consideration of the Board and the Administrator.
- Board (also called "Editor") — This level of entitlement is for NCGS board members, committee chairs, or other persons that the Board has requested be granted such access. In addition to the Member privileges listed above, persons with Board-level access can approve content, making it available for the webmaster to publish.
- Administrator — Webmaster. This includes all the entitlements mentioned above, as well as the ability to manage user accounts, publish content, and reorganize and maintain the website.
Member Account Creation
Accounts are created for members who have submitted an e-mail address with their membership information, through a process the Secretary and the Webmaster follow.
When someone joins the NCGS, the Secretary sends the Webmaster the following information about the new member:
- E-mail address (This must be a unique e-mail address)
- Member number (This is a unique five-digit number, assigned by the Secretary)
The Webmaster then creates a user account with Member-level entitlement (as described above), with the following initial settings:
username: firstname.lastname [with a period between the names]
password: member number [simply the five-digit member number]
e-mail address: e-mail address
Users will need the username and password combination to log in. The e-mail address will be used to contact you periodically with announcements about the Society or its website. Additionally, the e-mail address will be used to reset your password, should you ever forget it.
We recommend that our member users change their password when they log in for the first time, so that it will be more secure.
Users can also login and change your e-mail address if it has changed, but users should also contact the Secretary if they change their e-mail address, so that the Secretary can make that update to the membership records as well.
To get to the member-only portions of the website, log into the site using the login form at the upper left portion of the site. This should allow you to log in and should display "Welcome" followed by your username as well as a Member Menu, for accessing the members-only portions of the site.
Registered, or Non-Member Accounts
In order to purchase items from the forthcoming NCGS web store, users will need to create accounts on the website, even if they are not members of the Society.
A non-member can register by clicking "Create an account" in the login box on the front page of the site and then providing the following information:
- Username (create it here)
- E-mail Address
- Password (create it here, then enter it again to make sure we got it correctly)