How to Add to the Directory
The NCGS Website allows registered members of the site to submit listings for societies, libraries, and archives of interest to North Carolina researchers. One does not have to be a member of the Society to submit these listings. This is an excellent way to let other researchers know about your local society or a library or repository you found. The initial creators of listings can update them. (For listings that already exist, you can e-mail the webmaster to claim and maintain a listing.)
The submissions will be subject to editing and approval by members of the publications committee. Listings should be of interest for genealogical researchers living in or working on research in North Carolina.
To submit a listing:
- Go to the website.
- Log in.
- Click Resources and then Societies / Libraries / Archives from the top menu.
- On the Societies / Libraries / Archives page, click Add Entry (below the alphabetical list of links).
- Fill out, at a minimum:
- Zip Code
- Optionally, you may also fill out:
- County — If there are one or more counties of interest, you can list them here.
- General E-mail — For e-mail to the overall group, society, library, or archive.
- Website — The website must start with "http://".
- Contact Person — Their name.
- E-mail — For the contact person.
- Membership Year Begins — If there is a specified start of the year for membership orgranizations, add it here.
- Membership Dues — The amount, if the group requires dues.
- Focus — Choose an item from the pull-down menu: Central NC, Eastern NC, Local & State, Local (Town / County), N/A, Neighboring State, Other, or Western NC.
- Genealogy Room — Check the box if the library, society, or archive has a whole room devoted to genealogy.
- Collection Size — Enter the number of items in the library or archive if it has a room dedicated to genealogy.
- Genealogy Shelf — Check the box if the library, society, or archive has a genealogy shelf.
- Collection Size (Shelf) — Enter the number of items on the shelf in the library, society, or archive if it has a shelf dedicated to genealogy.
- Meta Keywords — Enter any keywords that might aid in searching for the listing.
- Meta Description — Enter a description that would be searchable, and help identify the item if someone had the entire search.
- Select one or more category or categories for the listing by selecting them from the list and clicking the arrow to add them to the box on the right. The available categories are:
- Genealogical Societies
- Heritage & Hereditary Society Chapters
- Libraries, Archives & Museums
- Historical Societies
- Click Send.