NCGS Awards, 2008
The 2008 NCGS awards were presented at our annual meeting held at Brier Creek Country Club in Wake County on 15 November 2008.Award winners are listed briefly below. For additional information see the Winter 2009 edition the the NCGS News.
- THE AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN PERIODICAL PUBLISHING for a periodical published by a local North Carolina genealogical society.
The Randolph County Genealogical Society for their publication The Genealogical Journal of Randolph County. Larry Cates, Editor; Robert Hill, President.
- THE AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN WEB PRESENCE for a freely accessible website promoting North Carolina Genealogy:
The Caswell County Historical Association for their website http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ncccha/. Karen Oestreicher, President; Karen Avants, Collections.
- THE AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN PUBLISHING for a book, or a set of books, of abstracts or transcriptions of original North Carolina primary source material.
Ellen Poteet for her transcription of General Order Book, 1862-1863, 11th North Carolina Troops.
- THE AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN PUBLISHING for a book of secondary source material, or family history relevant to North Carolina, and published within eighteen months preceding the award:
William B. Kittrell for his Pitt County Cemetery Book, Volumes 1 and 2
- THE AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTION TO NCGS by a Member for an individual whose work within the NCGS has been outstanding:
Ann Christhacht Hilke, CG NCGS program chairman for several years
- THE AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN PUBLISHING for a book, or set of books, of abstracts or transcriptions of original North Carolina primary source material:
Herman W. Ferguson for his book Abstracts of Deed Books 24-28 and Books 1-3, Second Series, Mecklenburg County, NC 1831–1850.
- THE AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTION NORTH CAROLINA GENEALOGY for an individual whose outstanding genealogical contributions have greatly enhanced the family history of North Carolina:
Herman W. Ferguson