2017 NCGS Awards – Call for Nominations
Nominations are now being accepted for the 2017 NCGS Awards. Among the most rewarding of NCGS programs, the awards promote continued excellence in North Carolina genealogy and also inspire others to publish abstracts and transcriptions of North Carolina county and state records, cemetery and Bible records, family histories, and society journals and newsletters and to develop informative genealogical websites. The Awards Committee urges you to join the society in recognizing the labors of deserving individuals and societies by submitting a nomination for a 2017 NCGS Award in one of several categories.
The NCGS Awards nominations are open from January until 15 August 2017.
The categories for the 2017 NCGS Awards are as follows:
1. The Award for Excellence in Periodical Publishing for a periodical (newsletter) published by a local North Carolina genealogical society.
2. The Award for Excellence in Periodical Publishing for a periodical (journal) published by a local North Carolina genealogical society.
3. The Award for Excellence in Web Presence for a freely accessible website promoting North Carolina genealogy.
4. The Award for Excellence in Publishing for a book, or a set of books, of abstracts or transcriptions of an original North Carolina record and published within eighteen months preceding the closing date (15 February 2016 – 15 August 2017).
5. The Award for Excellence in a Publication Relevant to North Carolina Genealogy, published within eighteen months preceding the closing date (15 February 2016 – 15 August 2017).
6. The Award for Excellence in Publishing for a book of family history relevant to North Carolina and published within eighteen months preceding the closing date (15 February 2016 – 15 August 2017).
7. The Award for Outstanding Contribution to North Carolina Genealogy for an individual whose longtime genealogical contributions have greatly enhanced the study of family history in North Carolina. The genealogical contributions may be regional.
8. The Award for Outstanding Contribution to NCGS by a Member for an individual whose work within the NCGS has been outstanding.
The North Carolina Genealogical Society retains the option of not giving an award in any given category and of presenting more than one award in any given category.
Each submission requires a Nomination Form, which should be mailed to NCGS Awards, 6300 Creedmoor Road, Suite 170 #323, Raleigh, NC 27612. A copy of any publication being nominated must accompany the submission, as well as complete contact information and any relevant supporting material, data, or additional written endorsement. Please include the latest 4 issues of a nominated newsletter or journal. Closing date for submissions is 15 August 2017.
Please review the Criteria for Judging for genealogical publications, websites, and individuals worthy of consideration for nomination, which are linked to above and are posted on the Awards page of the NCGS website. Nominations are reviewed by a panel of judges, and awards will be presented during the NCGS Annual Meeting to be held in the fall of 2017. Printed materials should properly cite their sources. Submissions of printed material are donated to the State Library of North Carolina in Raleigh after the judging process. If you have questions, please send an e-mail to email@example.com.
Please help NCGS acknowledge and honor worthy individual and society endeavors in publishing and other contributions to North Carolina genealogy by nominating their work for the NCGS Awards Program this year.